DO NOT LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES – IF THE MUSIC IS LOUD, REDUCE VOLUME AND PLAY WITH CLOSED CAPTIONS.
NO MUSIC version here: https://youtu.be/PkR1slKi6Bo
Learn how to make Trinidad’s popular, TASTY, SOFT, fluffy and well loved roti – dhalpuri (aka dhalpourie roti or dhal puri roti or dhalbari or dalbari roti) –as seen on the Food Network’s Diners, Drive In and Dives with Guy Fieri -Dhal puri is a quintessential Trini flat bread. A roti lovingly and expertly filled with well seasoned split peas. Dhalpuri is usually eaten with curries and stews. You can prepare the filling in advance to save time. This is the tastiest and softest dhalpuri without any baking soda— it’s been tried and tested many times!
2 cups dried split peas (dhal)
8 cups water
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
6-8 cloves garlic
2 cherry peppers
6-8 culantro leaves (or handful of cilantro)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons oil
To knead flour
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups warm water
Plus ¾ cup vegetable oil, for cooking roti
Prepare Dhal: (Can be made ahead, refrigerated for a few days or frozen until ready to use)
1. Pick through for dirt and debris and wash dhal with several changes of water. Drain.
2. In a medium pot over high heat, add 8 cups of water and dhal. When it comes to a rolling boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until dhal is cooked and firm (not soft) and crushes easily between thumb and forefinger. Drain.
3. In a food processor, add 6 cloves of garlic, hot peppers and culantro leaves. Process until fine. Add 1/3 dhal and process until very fine. Remove to a bowl and repeat two more times. Mix well.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large non stick pan or heavy bottomed pot, add ground dhal, cumin and salt if needed. Stir until combined and cook for 15 minutes until it no longer has large lumps and some of the moisture has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
1. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix and gradually add water to make a soft smooth dough. Knead flour to make a soft dough. Let dough rest for 30-45 minutes.
2. Separate dough into 4 balls. Then separate each into two equal pieces. Form into smaller balls (making 8 balls) and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
1. Flatten dough into a disk, place ¼ cup of dhal onto the disk and stretch the edges over and around the ground dhal, to meet at the top, then press together or pinch tightly to seal. Repeat with the remaining balls(loyahs) and filling. Allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
1. When ready to cook, heat tawa until smoking. Lower heat and brush with oil.
2. Sprinkle flour on counter. Place filled dough. Press gently to make another small disk. Roll out dough to an 8-inch circle, making sure that the edges are thin.
3. Place on hot tawa. When tiny bubbles appear on the surface brush with oil and flip. Brush other side with oil. When roti swells and is lightly brown on both sides, it is ready. Remove carefully from tawa and place in a large bowl lined with a kitchen or paper towel.
4. Repeat steps 2-3.
1. make the filling (about 1 hr including cooling time)
2. knead flour (5 mins to measure and assemble + 5 minutes to knead)
3. fill the dough (should take 15-20 mins–more time of course if you are new to this)
4. cook roti ((15-20 mins)
Some have complained about the background “Caribbean” music being irritating and unbalanced-it’s sounds fine on my computer (2017 brand new) so I apologize if it’s not the same on yours! If it’s that serious I can re-upload-let me know. You may take off the volume and watch with Closed Captions!
If you wish to contribute translations, use the link below:
LINK TO RECIPE:
BY POPULAR DEMAND:
Link to Kitchen Favorites:
Gorgeous 9 Piece Rainbow Measuring Cups & Spoon Set–As Seen in my videos!
Thanks for watching. I hope you found this video helpful. Here are some links to other FAVORITE AND POPULAR recipes!
Dhalpuri Roti – https://youtu.be/3ekk5BzvTbg
Paratha Roti – https://youtu.be/YxcbP_mCLM0
Sada Roti – https://youtu.be/57xYKu5_ht0
Pepper Roti – https://youtu.be/nIeS5Rtbz8o
Fried Bake: https://youtu.be/Ja6tuR93ZnM
Homemade bread: https://youtu.be/gcUxNeg_qRA
Coconut Bake: https://youtu.be/Y-iwQF6ick0
Green Seasoning – https://youtu.be/eJ1SdxHGS6Q
Homemade BBQ Sauce – https://youtu.be/7WCNUtn5q1
If you wish to see more, please subscribe, give me a thumbs up and leave a nice comment below.
KEEP IN TOUCH FELLOW FOODIES!
Website for many more recipes: www.cookingwithria.com
WITH LOVE ️AND BEST DISHES ,