This beef stew is classic Cantonese comfort food! Extremely tender & juicy beef with melt in your mouth beef tendon and savory daikon drenched in a sweet and umami-packed Chee Hou Sauce.
It’s a Chinese staple and is a well-loved classic in Hong Kong Noodle Shops!
Subscribe today for more delicious recipes!: https://bit.ly/3mVCq78
10 EASY & DELICIOUS VIETNAMESE RECIPES
🤤 Fish sauce chicken wings, fried imperial rolls, banh khot, & more!!
Get your recipe ebook NOW!
GET YOUR BOBA, CHINESE DUMPLINGS, & GREAT WAVE KOI FISH MERCH HERE!
BEEF STEW NOODLES w/ DAIKON & TENDON – 6-8 Servings
MEAT & VEGETABLES
1 lb Beef Belly or Fatty Beef Brisket Chinese: 牛坑腩
1 lb Beef Tendon Chinese: 牛筋
1 lb Large Daikon Radish – cut into large chunks
20 g Sliced Ginger
6 Garlic Cloves – crushed
1 Large Shallot – chopped
3 Stalks of Green Onion – white & greens separated
1 TBSP Shaoxing Cooking Wine
1 Cup Chicken Stock or Water
1 TBSP Salt – season to taste!
3 TBSP Chee Hou Sauce Chinese: 柱侯醬
1 TBSP Ligh Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Dark Soy Sauce
2 TSP Oyster Sauce
3 Star Anise
2 TSP Rock Sugar 10g
1 Small Piece of Dried Mandarin Peel Chinese: 陳皮
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Bay Leaves
3 TBSP Corn Starch
4 TBSP Water
– For uncooked beef tendons – pressure cook tendons with a cup of cold water in Instant Pot at High – Pressure for 1 hour & 15 minutes + Natural Release.
– Discard the cooking liquid. Rinse the cooked tendons under cold running tap water.
– Cut tendons into smaller 3-4″ pieces, then remove some of the fat if desired.
DRIED MANDARIN PEEL
– Rehydrate the dried mandarin peel (chengpi) by soaking it with cold water for 15 minutes.
**Both the beef tendon and dried mandarin peel are optional
– Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More function. Wait until it says HOT (~8 mins).
– Pat the beef belly dry with a paper towel.
– Add 1 TBSP oil to the Instant Pot.
– Brown the beef, roughly 3 minutes per side, and set aside. You may have to do this in batches.
– Add crushed garlic cloves, sliced ginger, chopped shallot, and white part of green onions in Instant Pot.
– Saute until fragrant (~2 mins).
– While the ginger and garlic are being sauteed, quickly cut the beef into stew-size pieces.
– Add pre-cooked tendon pieces and browned beef pieces (with all the meat juices) in Instant Pot.
– Pour in 1 TBSP Shaoxing wine (or water) and completely deglaze the bottom of the pot.
MAKE CHEE HOU SAUCE
– Combine all sauce ingredients and add to the Instant Pot.
– Give it a quick mix so all the ingredients are infused with the paste.
ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS
– Add the daikon chunks, chicken stock (or water), and salt.
– Ensure everything is submerged ~90%.
– Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 32 minutes plus 15 minutes natural release.
THICKEN & SEASON TO TASTE
– Bring the beef stew sauce to a simmer with the “Saute” button.
– In a small mixing bowl, mix cornstarch with water, then mix it in one third at a time until desired – thickness.
– Taste and adjust seasoning by adding more salt.
– I added 2 large pinches of salt at the end.
– Serve with egg noodles, rice, or rice noodles!
. TECH & GADGETS
Camera Body: Canon Rebel T6i
Lens: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM – Nifty Fifty (great for low light)
Tripod: Mefoto Travel Tripod
Lighting: Softbox Lights
– Blue Wednesday – Apple Pies & Butterflies
– Blue Wednesday – This Is Not A Drill
#chinesebeefstew #beefstew #hongkongcafe